Please read this page first to learn a bit about our company and how we handle hiring.
Hi, we’re GMB, and we teach people how to use their bodies better. The word “fitness” has been perverted to mean doing things you hate to impress people you don’t like with a body that’s too tired and sore to do anything fun. We’re here to change that, and we need your help.
We started out in 2010 with an email subscription form, a YouTube account, and a lot of scrambling to figure things out. Even with over 40,000 clients in 80 countries, pretty much everything about how we’ve built our company and marketed our products has been bootstrapped by a small group of deeply invested people wearing a lot of hats and learning as we went along. Even with a team of over twenty people, that’s our DNA – learning and making it work.
GMB is a brand with a strong personality that comes across in our writing and our overall visual approach. But we need more cowbell. That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for someone who can work with our brand, marketing, and web design teams to extend our message and personality into more images that communicate our method and brand with emotion and style. You’ll work with our current brand guidelines and create images for articles, promotions, and merchandise that establish a strong visual personality to complement existing brand assets.
Who are you?
To be the right fit for this position, you must be able to not only take direction but also set the direction for visual styling in areas that it’s not defined.
We are NOT looking for someone to “bang out some images” from time to time.
We’ve worked with a number of freelancers, and now we’re looking to go steady with the right person who:
- can understand and fucking love our brand.
- knows how to make suggestions, take criticism, and kick ass at a fast pace.
- has no problem alternating between creative work and batch processing.
- can take ownership of the visual style for our artwork.
- has a creative mind, technical skill and enthusiasm.
If you have a strong sense of style and the desire to make a lasting contribution to a strong brand while working closely with kick-ass people, we want you on our team.
What will be your responsibilities?
You will be responsible for the design, layout and formatting of all communications materials for web, landing pages and digital banners, email, print. Designs may integrate typographic, photographic, illustrative and other elements. You must have a sense of concept development, and be able to oversee projects from content acquisition to production.
You will apply your knowledge of marketing best practices and understanding of graphic productions, in addition to communication, research and problem-solving skills. You should be great at bringing new ideas for design and content creation to the team using your expertise and eye for great design.
To do this job:
- You’ll have outstanding skills in Adobe Tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, etc)
- You’re proficient in cross device design + basic principles of HTML
- You have an understanding of color theory, layouts and visual compositions
- You’ve got a good understanding of typography and vector design
- You have knowledge of graphic files for digital and print deliveries
- You have excellent verbal, visual and written communication skills
- You have excellent attention to detail with strong multi-tasking capability
Other Requirements & Competencies
- You’ve been following GMB for a while and understand what sets us apart from other fitness companies.
- Are clear on the value you’ll bring to the team.
- Know how to follow instructions and how to be creative – and how to choose between them.
- Speak and read/write perfect English.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Always work to develop a growth mindset.
- Good at self-managing.
- Have a strong DIY ethic – know what you don’t know and what you can do about it.
- Can make things happen. You are a doer/maker as well as a planner.
- Can manage written communication with a lot of different people.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience, but you can get a pretty good sense of our benefits and such here.
What’s it like working at GMB?
GMB is a kick-ass company.
GMB is about creating autonomy. We’re working to make the world a better place by teaching people to take control of what their bodies can do so they can contribute to their families and communities. We create options for exploration and self-expression.
And we work the way we practice. Like our idea of fitness and the way we deliver our programs, very little about the way we work is like what you’d find in a traditional company. Here’s how we exemplify autonomy at work:
Work and Live Anywhere
Set Your Own Schedule.
Create Your Own Role.
We also take care of our people. Building a great team with full autonomy requires more than just freedom; we thrive in an environment that supports development and growth… and we bet you will too. Some of the things we value and encourage are: continuous learning, travel & facetime, as well as time off. Learn more about all our benefits here.
If you like what you’ve read so far, familiarize yourself with who we are and what we’re about before going any further. You should also listen to this interview with Andy about how we grew GMB and what’s important to us.
Want to learn more about the smart, fun people you’ll be working with? Check out our team.
How To Apply
If you’re thinking, “I know how to use Photoshop; I’d be great at this,” you’re probably wrong. Please read everything above carefully and make sure you understand what we’re looking for.
If that all sounds like stuff you can handle, we’d love to hear from you. Please fill in the form below and make a case for why you’ll be a great fit for the team.